There are many ways to accept credit/debit card payments in your online shop, either directly on your website or through a 3rd party provider that acts as a Payment Gateway. We review here the best Payment Gateways for WooCommerce stores in Australia.
What is a Payment Gateway?
Payment Gateways are online service providers that take credit and debit card payments. Some like PayPal and Apply Pay also take payments from electronic wallets.
Credit/Debit card payments are temporarily stored on a Merchant Account, usually provided by the Payment Gateway. After a few days, these payments are transferred to the business bank account.
Compatible with WooCommerce
There are numerous Payment Gateways available for the Australian market but only some of them can be integrated with a WooCommerce online store on a WordPress website. The full list is available on WooCommerce website.
For Australian consumers
The payment gateways listed in the table below are the most common ones for small businesses and small not-for-profit organisations selling to the Australian market.
We mostly evaluated the WordPress plugin (software) that integrates WooCommerce to the Payment Gateway, rather than the Gateway itself.
- Good support (from experience and educated guess)
- Likely life span
- Price (the most popular are free)
We looked at the pricing for single transactions. A large store with a high volume of monthly transactions would get better rates but this articles specifically targets small businesses and not-for-profit organisations.
Best Payment Gateways for WooCommerce stores in Australia
|Transaction fees||1.75% + 30c (domestic cards)|
2.9% + 30c (international cards)
|2.2%||2.6% + 30c (domestic cards)|
3.6% + fixed fee (international cards)
|1.9% + 20c
Or 50c with $20 monthly plan
|Payment settlement||2 days||1-2 days||3-5 days||3 days|
|Save credit card||Y||N||N/A||Y|
|WooCommerce Integration||woocommerce.com/products/stripe/||woocommerce.com/products/square/||Already built in||woocommerce.com/products/eway/|
- Easy to manage
- Potential discount for not-for-profit organisations
- Can’t think of any!
The rising star
- Integration with Square POS (free)
- More and more popular in Australia
- Does not support WooCommerce Subscriptions yet so it’s not possible to set up recurring orders
- Limited synchronisation with POS (Point-of-Sale)
- POS requires proprietary card reader ($59)
Set up PayPal Standard as a secondary payment method
- Trusted company
- Many Australians have a PayPal account
- Onsite payment method possible directly from Product or Cart pages
- Lengthy process to register as a merchant (even longer for NFP)
- Difficult to deal with PayPal bureaucracy
- Outdated and buggy user interface for merchants
- May block payments without notice
- Offsite payment method occasionally breaks
- Onsite payment method is not available on Checkout page
If you sell “controversial” products & services
- Originally an Australian company, now part of Global Payments
- Established for more than 20 years
- Doesn’t seem to restrict any type of products and services sold
- Merchant portal looks very old (it still uses Adobe Flash!)
If you need advice to select and/or set up your Payment Gateway, please contact us.